Thursday, February 18, 2021

Chinese new year

I wa fortunate enough to experience Chinese New Year in Singapore this year. Just like in Sri Lanka you get many holidays for Chinese New Year in Chinese Countries. Also they celebrate day prior to New Year just like Sri Lanka. They don't  observe auspicious times as we do  but they do have unique ways of celebrating it.

This is how I spent my Chinese New Year holiday. I visited one of my Chinese friends house as I was invited to do Lo Hei which was very interesting and it was my first time as well. 'Lo Hei' is tossing or mixing. This is commonly done in Singapore as its known for prosperity. You get a plate full of different kind of noodles, salmon or fish and mixed with shredded vegetables and a variety of sauces and condiments, among other ingredients. Every sauce and dish has its own meaning to it such as great prosperity, good fortune, good luck and the list goes on. I was told by the host that there is a vegetarian version as well. 


Most interesting part was there was this free Web-based app allows users to tap their smartphone screens to play recordings of traditional auspicious exclamations that accompany the tossing as shouting has been banned here due to the risk of spreading Covid-19. Maybe because lo hei is all about screaming and enjoying the moment.

SNI

No comments:

Post a Comment

සිංගප්පූරුව 2

 අද පුණ්‍ය කාලය නිසා සිංගප්පූරුවේ පසුගිය කාලය ගත කරපු ගමනේ තවත් විස්තරයක් ලියන්නට සිතුණි.  එහි සිටි දවස් දහයේ හැමදාම උදේට කිලෝමීටර් අටක් පමණ...